I intended to make an innocent cup o’tea but the universe decided to start my Tuesday with a bang. Actually, I really can’t blame the universe for this one. Its simple math.
Glass Pyrex dish +
stove on high =
All I remember is hearing this huge BOOM and then there were pieces of glass everywhere along with the smell of the burning chocolate chip peanut butter cookies that were inside. I’ve spent the better half of the last hour trying to turn my kitchen back into a place where humans can roam free barefoot. Step 1. Step 2, purify the air that nearly set off the fire alarm. That one is taking quite a bit longer.
Its amazing how many places imploding glass can get to. I found it in my toaster, under my toaster, on my coffee maker, on all three levels of my spice rack, under a lamp, by the feet of our stuffed giraffe, Lady Penelope. Don’t worry, She’s a little shaken, but fine.
How could this have happened?? I hadn’t even brushed my teeth yet for crying out loud. I have a confession you guys. Its not the first time.. BUT it is the first time where there were dangerous projectiles flying all over the place. The thing is, I have an electric stove. One of those, “I’m so beyond fire” gas free stoves. At first this was pretty nifty, to think – I could never set anything on fire! But it actually turned out to be an adventure of absent mindedness as the only thing that tells you the stove is still hot is, well, the heat and a little red light. As a result I’ve melted countless tupperware containers (tops and bottoms), plastic bags, ruined a small number of pots and pans, and most recently this medium sized pyrex dish. I made it a rule to stop putting plastic on the stove, and I think now it has to be upgraded to read, ahem, “nothing may sit on the stove unless you are actively using it.” Hm. Perhaps to save my apartment from smelling like the bonfire that it does I should live a life like Jon Amt and order take out daily instead.
Welp! I know its not running related but I figured I’d share this ridiculously random experience with you all. Perhaps I sound cool calm and collected (maybe?) but that really scared the crap out of me! In trying to air out my apartment, its is a chilly 28 degrees in here so I’m gonna sign off and get my run in. I hope you’re all having a great Tuesday and getting into less trouble than I have before lunchtime.